Sunday, November 23, 2008

Normally I would never post this type of photo, but today I felt the need to tell you about one of the greatest men I have had the honor to know and love, my grandfather. He has always been the most amazing man to me. A little larger than life in all respects, from his unfailing devotion to God, his family, friends, and country, to his selfless love for my grandmother. Here is a man that has always done it right. There is no one other than my own husband that I respect more than my grandpa. He is someone to aspire to emmulate.

As a child, I spent a lot of my time with my grandpa. He would take me out for an ice cream at McDonalds and pop an 8-track tape into the car stereo and we would sing, "Loch Lomond" til my grandma would get sick of hearing us. Or, he would be "the Old Grey Mare" and ride me around the living room on his back. I can only remember one time where he spoke a harsh word to me (and I am quite sure I deserved it), he rarely spoke harshly to anyone or got angry. In fact he is usually smiling and happy even when things aren't so great. Case in point is the above photo...which must have been taken on the saddest day of his life, the day we buried my grandma, his wife and soulmate of nearly 68 years. Always trying his best to make everyone else feel better, that's my grandpa. He has always been my hero.

Today is his 94th birthday. I love you grandpa. The happiest of birthdays to you.

xox
Sherry